Maximum Oz Exposure Skilz

Saturday, December 30, 2006

3. Law-Breaking in Singapore

For those of you who have been to Singapore you’ll know that there is very little crime and the punishment for breaking the laws can be severe. Isla and I spent a great deal of today on the MRT train system exploring the city. Although there are tons of air conditioned malls you often have to spend time outside in the oppressive heat and almost visible humidity to get from one mall to another. If you want to see other parts of the city then it’s a good idea to use the MRT. However, once you are out of the centre then air conditioning is something you don’t see much of.

We had spent time wondering around Little India and by the time we got back to the MRT I was ridiculously thirsty. As we heading down an MRT escalator Isla said, “I’ve got a bottle of water in my bag if you want some,” and handed is over. I took a huge glup and as I wiped my lips I realised that everyone was staring at me. Over the tannoy came the voice of a pre-recorded message, “Drinking and eating on the MRT or in any of the MRT stations is illegal and punishable by a S$500 fine.”

Whoops! As I shoved the bottle bag in Isla’s bag I realised that there were no less that 5, yes 5 CCTV cameras pointed in my direction but luckily nobody came to arrest me. Staying in Singapore is a bit like living in the novel 1984 by George Orwell. The city has the distinct feel of a community that has given up some of it’s freedom in exchange for an ordered and relatively crime free society. To each their own I guess and I suppose a government like the one here would soon sort out all the Neds and benefit cheats back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home