Maximum Oz Exposure Skilz

Monday, June 11, 2007

125. Yum Cha

I’ve eaten my fair share of Chinese food in my time but I’ve never had this. There’s a huge restaurant in Chatswood called Kam Fook Restaurant that’s right next to the cinema and every time we walk past Isla says “I’ve eaten in there and it’s great. We need to go there some time.” So we did.

It’s a really strange affair and it reminded me of the 1930’s Hong Kong club at start of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The décor was what I imagined the Chinese version of “Colonial” would be like – all reds and golds and it was rammed full of people chowing down on a variety of strange looking foodstuffs and to be honest I really didn’t want to know what some of those things were.

We were shown to a small table near the back of the restaurant and it was a real struggle to get there. Not only were the tables packed together really tightly but there were loads of little Chinese ladies pushing dainty metal trolleys between the tables and hawking their contents. Each trolley contained different helpings of Yum Cha which included spicy pork rolls, spring rolls, prawn dumplings, BBQ pork, chicken claws (I avoided that one), spinach dumplings, egg noodles and deep-fried-don’t-know-whats to name a few. Within minutes many of the ladies had talked is into trying what was on their trolleys and not long after that we were full.

Everything was great as was the experience especially the hustle and bustle of the place although I hate to think what all that saturated badness did to my arteries. Just to be on the safe side I didn’t eat anything else that day!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home