Maximum Oz Exposure Skilz

Monday, March 26, 2007

92 – 98. Blue Mountains

92. Peppers Fairmont Hotel
We had a spare weekend off together and we decided to spend our time in the Blue Mountains. I had asked a few people at work were we should stay and the answer was unanimous – “Stay at Peppers”. I didn’t quite know what that was but I investigated and thanks to “lastminute.com” I got the room for half price.

However, one thing that I’m really beginning to notice in Oz is that if you don’t have a car then your are seen as a second class citizen or a criminal or someone on social services. When I told my colleagues that I was taking the train to Leura they were like “Oh, you don’t want to do that.” I said that I didn’t have a choice and they all said, “Well I suppose you could walk it to the hotel in about 5 mins but I’m not sure exactly how long it will take on foot.”

I was amazed how averse people were in Oz were to walking but after 20 mins of hiking to the hotel I realised that it wasn’t really their fault. 3km later it came to me that Australia is very much like the US in that respect – once you are outside a major city then you have no option but to drive as the public transport is non existent. In some parts there wasn’t even a pavement to walk on! It’s no wonder that 70% of people of people in Los Angeles are over the legal limit after midnight.

Peppers Fairmont Hotel is one of the nicest places I’ve ever stayed in. It’s not the Pan Pacific in Singapore but I can understand why the response I got to the question, “What is there to do in the Blue Mountains,” was met with “If you are in Peppers then you can just spend all your time there being pampered.” It was a very beautiful hotel and there certainly were plenty of services and facilities.

93. First Bush Walk
When we arrived the hotel the sun was shining and despite the fact that it was about 10C below Sydney temps we decided to go for our first ever bush walk. David, the concierge at the hotel, said that if we wanted an easy 90 min walk then we should head down to Moya Point and Gladestone Lookout. He gave us a map and pointed us in the direction of the bush walk and with some measure of eagerness we moseyed off into the hills.

It was a fascinating experience and within about 15 metres we both had fashioned walking sticks and with our socks pulled up like proper intrepid walkers we marched into the wilderness. It took good hour for us to realise the gems at the end of the walk but it was well worth it. We found our way to both Moya Point and Gladestone Lookout and both views were phenomenal. One minute you were enclosed in bushes and trees and the next the wind was swirling around you attempting to stop you from appreciating the unbelievable vistas.

Once we had had enough of balancing on rocky precipices we made our way back to the hotel. It seemed like a shorter journey home but I think that was because we were being chased by the most crazy, big-jawed ants I’ve ever seen. They were chewing into my boots and had I not had the benefit of 100kg to stomp them with then I may have been a goner. Vicious doesn’t even remote describe how nasty these mutant ants were. The first time I noticed them they were already chewing the bottom of my walking stick reducing my purchase by a good few inches.

94. James Squire’s Amber Ale

Aftertaste 4
Cost 3
Piss-factor 3
Smoothness 4
Coolness 4






The rain started about 100m away from the hotel and we got soaked. In a fit of laugher we thought that our wet clothes would be better soaking the bar than our room so some drinks and cocktails became the priority. There was plenty on offer and it took about 3 seconds before I realised that I’d not tasted Mr Squire’s Amber Ale so I ordered one of them. Isla on the other hand was straight onto the cocktails and devoured a concoction called “The Perfect Pear”. Totally appropriate connotation as far as I’m concerned!!!

95. Stoney Peak Brut Reserve

Before we had time to get into the swing of things a bloody wedding party turned up. It seems that everywhere we go there is someone getting married and they always seem to ruin our plans for a good time.

However, since our bush walk we were quite tired and headed back to the room. Within an hour it became apparent that we hadn’t eaten since breakfast so we splashed out and ordered room service. Being that it was one of the few weekends we’d had together since arriving in Oz we also decided to get a bottle of fizz.

It was very fresh and zesty and I really enjoyed the bubbles. In fact I had bubbles in bubbles when I decided to soak in the bath to get some kinks out of my crap hamstrings. The bath was huge and not normally being a bath person, I’m glad I indulged.


96. Tram Tour of Leura and Katoomba
We had a reasonably early night and thanks to daylight saving time got an extra hour in bed. It meant that we had no trouble scoffing the free buffet breakfast and making our way to the Trolley stop to get the first bus tour round the local area. As you already know, we love those bus tours and this was no exception. The driver knew everything about the area and he dropped us off on one of the best walks that I’ve ever been on.

97. Prince Henry Cliff Walk
We left the bus and headed into the bush. This 8km walk would see us head around some of the most fantastic views of the Blue Mountains. This walk seemed to be a bit of a secret as we only saw about 6 people for the entire duration. Within about 10 minutes we realised that we had struck gold as the views from this walk were immense. The photos that I took didn’t seem to do it justice and I wish that I could take all my friends on this stroll to see what we did.

98. The Three Sisters

This was the finale of our walk and in fact the single most popular reason why people visit the Blue Mountains. Here is some chat about the reason the three sisters came about…

“According to an Aboriginal dreamtime story, the three huge rocks formation were once three beautiful sisters named "Meehni", "Wimlah" and "Gunnedoo" from the Katoomba tribe. The three sisters fell in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe but their tribal laws forbade their marriage. The three brothers did not accept this law and tried to capture the three sisters by force. This caused a major tribal battle and the lives of the three sisters were thus threatened. A witchdoctor decided to turn the sisters into rocks in order to protect them and thought to reverse the spell only after the battle. Unfortunately, he was killed in the battle and the three sisters remained as the enormous and beautiful rock formations until today. The magnificent formation stands at 922m, 918m, and 906m respectively.”

That said it has been one of the most amazing things that I’ve seen since I’ve been in Australia. I would totally recommend folk doing the Prince Henry Walk and seeing the whole of this Valley from the track side. I loved it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home