Maximum Oz Exposure Skilz

Thursday, March 22, 2007

89 & 90. Yellow Tail Semillon Sauvignon Blanc 2006 & Wyndham Estate Verdelho 2005

These were two great wines that went amazingly well with the recent hot weather. The main reason that I mention them is that it suddenly struck home that for about 7 or 8 years I’d only drunk red wine. Many years ago I used to work in a wine shop in the centre of Glasgow (which has since closed down – probably because I’d drunk all the profits!) and one of the people I worked with said to me “once you start drinking reds you’ll never go back to whites.”

Over the course of my employment there I made the transition from white to red and ever since I’ve thought of whites as being vinegary and plain in comparison to what the reds have to offer. However, since living in Australia I’m coming back to the whites. What I’m finding is that there is actually great variety here and the weather totally suits a glass of white. I’ve been sitting in hot restaurants and when I’ve looked at the wine list I’ve thought that I would like a red but there is just no way that they can compete with a chilled white in the humidity and closeness of Sydney’s summer weather.

In short, I’m learning to love the white wines again and these two certainly didn’t disappoint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home