Maximum Oz Exposure Skilz

Saturday, April 07, 2007

101. Vanilla Slice

I love food. Everyone knows that. However, I’ve not really got that much of a sweet tooth and I much prefer curries, Dominos, nachos and all manor of savoury gastronomic indulgences.

I was watching the news the other morning and there was whole segment devoted to how there is a national annual competition for “The Best Vanilla Slice” and there was an interview with the family owned patisserie who has won it for the last few years. It seems that there is a huge following of vanilla slice eaters in Australia so I thought I’d see what all the fuss was about.

There is a cake shop near round the corner from the flat so I strode over and bought myself my first vanilla slice. The slice was massive and I was impressed with the cheapness of it. I carried it back to the apartment in a little brown paper bag and was initially surprised with the weight of it. The taste was great; creamy vanilla custard sandwiched between flaky, icing sugar covered pastry.

Even though I’m sure that this particular slice was mediocre in comparison to the famous championship winning ones it was still pretty good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home