Maximum Oz Exposure Skilz

Monday, October 08, 2007

232. Drive Through Bottle-O

I went to visit my friend in a place called Engadine which is a fair bit south of Sydney. He’s a Kiwi and Scotland was playing New Zealand in the Rugby World Cup so he’d invited me to stay over at his and watch the game. One downside to Australia is that most international sporting events are in a totally different time zone which means they are televised at the most ridiculous times of day (or in this case night).

He met me at the train station and although I’d brought a bottle of champers to give to his wife to say thanks for putting up with our inevitable bad behaviour I’d not brought any beer as I really couldn’t be bothered carrying it on the train. So I asked Fraser to stop at an off-licence so that I could pick up a couple of six packs. He exact words were, “Well there’s only one near hear and it’s a real hastle!”

I replied that it was no big deal and lied that I could possible manage a night of Gears of War on the xbox 360 followed by some crucial Scottish rugby without beer but then realised his sarcasm as we pulled into the bottle-o car park and someone ran up to the window and said, “What can I get you?” Awesome! A drive through booze shop. You don’t even have to get out your car to get your beers – they bring it to the car and shove in the back seat for you.

It wasn’t long before we were sozzled and I was too pissed to care that Scotland was fielding a second string team that was being systematically dismantled by the Kiwis resulting in a 40 nil hammering. Oh well – we ended up staying in the competition longer than the New Zealanders anyway (by 1 day!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home